cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_acct.c
rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 12 10:45:13 GMT 2005
rwatson 2005-11-12 10:45:13 UTC
FreeBSD src repository
Significant refactoring of the accounting code to improve locking and VFS
happiness, as well as correct other bugs:
- Replace notion of current and saved accounting credential/vnode with a
single credential/vnode and an acct_suspended flag. This simplifies the
accounting logic substantially.
- Replace acct_mtx with acct_sx, a sleepable lock held exclusively during
reconfiguration and space polling, but shared during log entry
generation. This avoids holding a mutex over sleepable VFS operations.
- Hold the sx lock over the duration of the I/O so that the vnode I/O
cannot occur after vnode close, which could occur previously if
accounting was disabled as a process exited.
- Write the accounting log entry with Giant conditionally acquired based
on the file system where the log is stored. Previously, the accounting
code relied on the caller acquiring Giant.
- Acquire Giant conditionally in the accounting callout based on the file
system where the accounting log is stored. Run the callout MPSAFE.
- Expose acct_suspended via a read-only sysctl so it is possibly to
programmatically determine whether accounting is suspended or not without
attempting to parse logs.
- Check both acct_vp and acct_suspended lock-free before entering the
accounting sx lock in acct().
- When accounting is disabled due to a VBAD vnode (i.e., forceable unmount),
generate a log message indicating accounting has been disabled.
- Correct a long-standing bug in how free space is calculated and compared
to the required space: generate and compare signed results, not unsigned
results, or negative free space will cause accounting to not be suspended
when required, or worse, incorrectly resumed once negative free space is
MFC after: 2 weeks
Revision Changes Path
1.76 +92 -107 src/sys/kern/kern_acct.c
More information about the cvs-src