Size limit for ctm pieces

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Jan 14 14:58:45 UTC 2013

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 09:49 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi ctm-users at freebsd.org,
> >
> > Andrew wrote:
> >>   For example when I requested ctm-src-9
> >
> > What service is this that Andrew is using ?
>
> Yes, Andrew had subscribed to the ctm-src-9 mailing list.  The errors he
> noted really were as he described them.

OK, sorry, my confusion from Andrew writing "requested", I didnt
realise he meant "subscribed" I wrongly thought he was talking about
some individual delta fetching by mail command (though re-reading
Andrew's I see no base for my wrong assumption - blame my N. winter
cold ;-) Sorry.

> > Is it some service from mailman (like get with majordomo) ?
>
> Yes.  When you signed up FreeBSD used majordomo.  FreeBSD now uses
> mailman.  One thing I have noticed about mailman is that it is much more
> reliable.  majordomo used to lose some of the pieces.

I lose some CTM deltas & other MIME enclosure stuff, cos it gets
corrupted between my POP3 servers popd-2.2.2a_5 (on freebsd-9.1 servers)
& fetchmail-6.3.8_7 - on my list to fix.

> > ( Prob. not ref'd in content of last URL below *** in this email ? )
> >
> > He's not fetching from eg http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/ctm-svn-cur/
>
> The ctm mailing lists are not archived.  I never thought to ask that
> they would be, but I assume that they would take up huge amounts of
> space on servers around the world, that would duplicate the ftp sites.

Yup, no point doing that, I was just looking around for inteterest
to see what might be doing a mail order individual fetch.

> > I'm subscribed to all lists as per:
> >
> >> From:		Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu>
> >> However - there is also a ctm-src-9-fast mailing list, where you will
> >
> > & also when I occasionaly have a local mail failure, I 'fetch'
> > from mirrors, eg ftp://ftp2.de.freebsd.org/
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/cvs-cur/cvs-cur.19167.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/ports-cur/ports-cur.9700.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-4/src-4.2351.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-5/src-5.0860.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-6/src-6.1634.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-7/src-7.1676.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-8/src-8.1433.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-9/src-9.0555.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-cur/src-cur.10748.gz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/svn-cur/svn-cur.01107.xz
> > 	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/svn-ports-cur/svn-ports-cur.00109.xz
> >
> > but I guess Andrew is using some other fetch by mail service ? What ?
>
> Andrew was originally using the ftp sites.  But in a private exchange
> between he and I, he found out that the ftp sites can often be half a
> day old.

& sometimes lots more.

> ftp-master fetches from my computer about once every 4 or 6
> hours, and even after it has fetched them it takes a while to propagate.
>
> Some people used to offer ftp sites that directly fetched from my
> computer, and tended to be much more current.  If anyone wants to offer
> such a service, I can open up my firewall to let them in.

I can offer that on my server if people want it ?

> > ----
> >
> > I think there should be a link from
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
> > not justexisting link to
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ctm_rmail&sektion=1
> > but also a new link to
> > ***	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ctm.html
> >
> > Content of that last URL looks ancient with  eg:
> > 	"There is a sequence of deltas for the ports collection too,
> > 	but interest has not been all that high yet"
> > (There's been a whole load of ctm lists for maybe a decade.)
> >
> > Probably easiest if someone does an edit rewrite of whole page then
> > asks Stephen to bless it as correct, & the freebsd doc team to
> > replace whole old page, much less work than a load of small diff
> > edits ?
> >
> > (Only catch is unfortunately freebsd web team work with an SGML
> > tool chain that has over 10 years here, has almost constantly broken
> > & conflicted with other ports, so its not just a trivial edit in HTML job. )
>
> It would be totally great if someone wants to rewrite the CTM pages.
>

> The people who created CTM never anticipated it would still be used
> today.  I have been running it for about 10 years.  The University of
> Missouri has provided me a virtual computer on which to create the CTM
> deltas.  It is really well hidden behind firewalls, as the person who
> provides me this service is very security conscious.  So no-one else
> will be able to access it.
>
> If I ever suddenly died, I think it would be hard for someone else to
> pick up CTM, and my guess is that CTM would die with me.  But if someone
> wants to get a copy of all the scripts and such like, I would be happy
> to give them a tar ball.  I'll not give them access to the private PGP
> key unless I can be certain of who they are and that they won't abuse
> it.  But whoever takes over the CTM stuff can create a new key, and as
> long as the FreeBSD people trust them, they will put up the new key on
> their mailman web sites.
>
> (I'll also not give out the private key that allows me to download from
> cvsup-master.freebsd.org, but since ctm-cvs-cur is due to die soon, that
> is moot.)

It would be a good idea to have a backup site for scripts & stuff.
I can offer some resources, I'll contact you off list to discuss
if what I can offer is sufficient, however should also please feel
free to offer stephen as they may be able to offer more server
resources than I can.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".