svn-cur

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Dec 27 12:38:21 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen
> On 12/26/2011 07:55 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> >> Suggestion:
> >> Maybe you might want a 5 digit numeric, not 4 digit, like cvs-cur ?
> >> (as eg there's often more cvs deltas than other deltas)
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > Also use same convention as before in naming with xEmpty to indicate a base
> > ctm (delta) rather than just a differential ctm (delta).
> > 	mv svn-cur.0001.xz svn-cur.00001xEmpty.xz
> > 	mv svn-cur.0002.xz svn-cur.00002.xz
>
> The convention that svn-cur.0001 does not have xEmpty in it is a
> convention that has been followed before.  Look at src-9.  It is how the
> mkCTM software works.

OK, thanks, I had wondered if it was a mistake.
I hadn't noticed the example of src-9 till now.

The name 'Empty' was a useful marker to distinguish & seperate a
full from a differential file....  We're now up to src-9.0077.gz

Question:
Might there may be trouble when we get to src-9.0100.gz ?
A double bid for that file name:
- Recipient hosts will want a normal small incremental update.
- Sender & ftp mirror servers, that same name needs to hold
  2 different sets of content,
  - for a differential.
  - for a complete archive
How will ctm recipients later distinguish which CTM delta to pull via ftp
if they both have the same name ? eg
 	src-9.0300.gz	a complete base CTM archive for later starters
 	src-9.0300.gz	a differential delta for those ftp'ing after
			maybe a mail outage on recipient loses an odd delta.
Using same name in different new directories might also be problematic, as
if we had eg
	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-cur/src-9.0101.gz
	/pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/src-cur/empty-new-dir/src-9.0101.gz
all mirror site would need to create directories called /empty-new-dir/
which might (I don't know) require permission/manual intervention on mirrors).

The scenario I guess hasn't happened before, & doesn't matter when a new
archive first starts, as per src-9.0001.gz,
but I guess this potential problem approaches as src-9.0077.gz
approaches src-9.0100.gz or src-9.0101.gz ?

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".