svn-cur

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Dec 27 01:48:58 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen  & ctm-users@

> This is my second attempt to implement svn-cur into CTM.
>
> Look at ftp://cauchy.math.missouri.edu/pub/CTM/svn-cur/

I downloaded all
	(caution to CC readers, first delta > 1 gig.)

> You will have to apply the patch to /usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm/ctm and
> rebuild ctm.  (I think "make depend && make && make install" is what you
> need to do.)
>
> ctm now includes a wrapper around tar and svnadmin.  You will need the
> subversion port installed, and xz installed if your base system doesn't
> have xz in it.

Done

> The original ctm was programmed in a very defensive manner, so that it
> would predict errors before they happened.  Unfortunately svnadmin is
> not so defensively programmed.  Also, I don't think I am as meticulous
> as the original programmer Poul-Henning Kamp.
>
> If anyone has advice for how to improve the patch, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Sorry not had time to read patches.

> And also, if you try it out and it crashes or does
> something else bad, please tell me about it.

Patches apply fine on 8.2-RELEASE.
Then manually using deltas OK:
ctm -v /pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/svn-cur/svn-cur.0001.xz
ctm -v /pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM/svn-cur/svn-cur.00[0-9][0-9].xz

Suggestion:
Maybe you might want a 5 digit numeric, not 4 digit, like cvs-cur ?
(as eg there's often more cvs deltas than other deltas)

> If it works, you should find that svn-cur is operated in exactly the
> same way as the current ctm's.

Confirmed.
I've not tried accessing the resultant tree with svn yet
(my Subversion book not read yet).
In my /pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-SVN I have a single directory
	base
which has 5.6 Gig of README.txt conf db format hooks locks

I looked on
	 http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
not yet :
	ctm-svn-cur
	ctm-svn-cur-fast
I guess you will get those created after you see success reports such as this.
When list ctm-svn-cur-fast is created I will subscribe.
( I have set up my mail aliases, .procmailrc, scripts & treees,
to automaticaly store & apply when the mailing starts. )

Thanks Stephen !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".