Move ctm to ports?

Roman Kurakin rik at inse.ru
Mon Dec 5 15:26:20 UTC 2011

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 12/05/11 09:16, Roman Kurakin wrote:
>> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

>>> OK, I am persuaded - no moving CTM to ports. I'll see if I can get a
>>> src commit bit, with the promise that I will only touch the ctm stuff.
>>>
>>> Next - suppose I want to make svn-cur officially part of CTM. Do any
>>> of you see a problem with having something in the base depending upon
>>> something in the ports - namely subversion and xz? (And hopefully in
>>> the next few years, subversion will become part of base.)
>> It is not a good idea. How do you see the way to compile the base
>> without smth in base?
>> There is no problem with smth that uses smth ports-based, but not depend
>> on smth ports-based.
>> What do you think about plugins?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by plugins.  But maybe you mean this:
>
> So I envision that if I start to use xz compression, and xz is not
> installed, then when you run ctm, it will issue an error like this:
>
> "You need to install xz from the port archivers/xz."
>
> Similarly, if you try to apply the svn deltas, you will get an error like
>
> "You need to install subversion from the port devel/subversion."
>
> So the errors would be run time, not compile time.
That is ok. It is "use smth".

But in case it will need to be compiled against smth it mast be split on
the main module
that is in base and does not depend on smth, and dynamically loaded part
that can depend
upon whatever it needs. This other part can be called plugin and must
not be in base but
rather some port.

rik