rep-cache.db: was SVN repo

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Aug 10 23:04:55 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen & all

> I created a .0001 delta for svn.  It is about 5G.  When compressed with
> gzip, it goes down to 1.8G.  When compressed with bzip2, it goes down to
> 1.4G.  When compressed with xz, it goes down to 1G.  These are some huge
> differences in my opinion.

Yup ! Too big to ignore.  Just in case,
did you possibly overlook ensuring comparing like with like ? eg:

man gzip
     -9, --best        These options change the compression level used, with
                       the -1 option being the fastest, with less compression,
                       and the -9 option being the slowest, with optimal com-
                       pression.  The default compression level is 6.
   BTW I have : printenv | grep -i gzip	# GZIP=--best

man bzip2:
	And --best merely selects the default behaviour.

man xz
	      -0 ... -9
              Select a compression preset level.  The default is -6.

> If FreeBSD were to switch to svn, and stop supporting cvs, how many
> people would be negatively impacted by not having svn on CTM?

I'd miss it. I could live without,
I could doubtless switch to running csup of ctm then svn,
	(but dont much want to punch another hole in firewall,
	figure packet proxying (cos gate disk too small),
	&/or fix my ftp proxy (only my http proxy works)
	I could fix or reconfig all, but I'd miss it :-),
ctm via email, fed to local cvs tree has always been just so
nice & efficient, allowing lots of offline for max security &/or
better response for other interactive stuff, & quick load to laptop
for travel, whatever.

> I tried deleting base/db/repo-cache.db.

I have the book Version Control with Subversion 2nd Ed. but never read it,
Maybe you might find an SVN expert to discuss with on one of the SVN lists at
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo
maybe
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/svn-src-svnadmin

Thanks for all the CTM work you do for us !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.