No deltas via email anymore?

Andre Albsmeier Andre.Albsmeier at siemens.com
Thu Jan 21 06:37:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21-Jan-2010 at 02:55:04 +0100, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Stephen McKay wrote:
> > On Thursday, 21st January 2010, "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
> >
> > >Reason I imagined it would bet better with an option on send,
> > >& auto detect on receive:
> > >
> > >  There's perhaps people out there running CTM to distribute stuff
> > >  other than FreeBSD source (other *BSD src, other data, some binary
> > >  systems may have limited or no access to upgrade binaries except
> > >  at release upgrade.
> > >
> > >  Such users might not be on this list, as this list is more for
> > >  the FreeBSD patches than the programs as such. So ideally a CTM
> > >  would have a format rev. no, & receivers would first be updated
> > >  to dual capable auto detect of old & new format, then later senders
> > >  would reduce length of CTM lines sent.
> >
> > ctm_rmail already works with any line length that is a multiple of 4.
> > A change to 72 characters per line in ctm_smail does not require anyone
> > to update ctm_rmail.  We should just do it.  It's safe.
>
> Nice.
>
> > In principle a revision number is a good thing for every file and
> > transport format, but at this late stage I doubt any benefit would
> > be gained by adding one to the ctm email format.
>
> OK.
>

> Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>
> > This looks very easy to implement, namely change the line
> > #define LINE_LENGTH     76
> > in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm/ctm_smail
> >
> > So, would there be a problem with making this start right now?
> >
> > (Remember I make the detlas, so I can make this happen anytime.)
>
> Sounds like you'd be safe to try it then :-)
> 	/usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm/ctm_smail/ctm_smail.c
> 	#define LINE_LENGTH     72
> Should solve Andre's chopped sample he posted that folded after 75.
> [Speaking as one end consumer], I'd be happy if you tried.

I will come back with my results as soon as I get the first
delta with 72 chars/line ;-).

> Andre may also need to get get his admins to turn off their conversion
> to "quoted printable... Or

The guy I was talking to about this problem confirmed that, at
least in his opinion, there was absolutely no reason to change
the body of the message. He promised me to talk to his people
working currently on this Exchange server upgrade. However,
you never know when some of those dressed up business babblers
jump in here and insist on doing it "The Default Mickeysoft Way"
since this is how it has always been...

> If he can't, I think there's a way in sendmail on local receive to
> convert "quoted printable" back to straight 8 bit ?, (I've been
> meaning to find time to look as I get "quoted printable" text mail
> from MS using friends that's a pain to edit with vi).

Hmm, I think this would be generally a good idea, thanks for
reminding me. I remember a time many years ago when sendmail
did some type of similar conversion per default (I saw it in
the log files).

Thanks,

	-Andre

--
Note: No Micro$oft programs were used in the creation or distribution
      of this message. If you are using a Micro$oft program to view