No deltas via email anymore?

Stephen McKay smckay at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 21 01:09:19 UTC 2010

On Thursday, 21st January 2010, "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:

>Reason I imagined it would bet better with an option on send,
>& auto detect on receive:
>
>  There's perhaps people out there running CTM to distribute stuff
>  other than FreeBSD source (other *BSD src, other data, some binary
>  systems may have limited or no access to upgrade binaries except
>  at release upgrade.
>
>  Such users might not be on this list, as this list is more for
>  the FreeBSD patches than the programs as such. So ideally a CTM
>  would have a format rev. no, & receivers would first be updated
>  to dual capable auto detect of old & new format, then later senders
>  would reduce length of CTM lines sent.

ctm_rmail already works with any line length that is a multiple of 4.
A change to 72 characters per line in ctm_smail does not require anyone
to update ctm_rmail.  We should just do it.  It's safe.

In principle a revision number is a good thing for every file and
transport format, but at this late stage I doubt any benefit would
be gained by adding one to the ctm email format.

Stephen.