Do you still want CTM?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Tue Aug 4 23:00:33 UTC 2009

Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> Maybe there is room for improvement by spreading the work
> over various disks intelligently. I don't know how the
> delta generation works but I think stuff has to be checked
> out and compared to the former version. So if one got three
> disks:
>
> 1. holding the cvs Repository
> 2. checked out version #1
> 3. checked out version #2
>
> things might get a big boost.

I have actually tried this, and it did help a little.  But switching
from PATA to SATA made the biggest difference.  And if I had some kind
of RAID, it would help enormously.

> One could argue about the need of distributing cvs-cur and src-cur
> and stay with the -STABLE branches and -ports. But this is just
> my opinion and others' needs may be different ;-).

The src-cur (which I actually use myself) puts rather little extra
overhead on the system.  It is like another stable branch.

The vast majority of the effort is spent on updating cvs-cur.  If I
discovered that no-one wants this branch, that would be a huge saving of
time.