Do you still want CTM?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Tue Aug 4 04:04:03 UTC 2009

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2009-Aug-03 21:46:06 -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at missouri.edu> wrote:
>> My question is this - are there people who still depend on CTM for their
>> updates?  Or is it time to close down CTM?  Or is there someone else who
>> wants to take it over?
>
> I don't have CVSup access at work and currently rely on CTM delta
> emails.  I also use CTM (via FTP) at home because that was easy to
> setup and means my trees at home and work are synchronised.

I use CTM for synchronization, just as you do.

> I could switch to CVSup at home without too much hassle but loss of
> CTM would be a serious hassle at work - the easiest solution would
> probably be for me to setup something fairly similar to a CTM server
> at home and mail it to work.

It might be more efficient to use CVSUP at home, and then synchronize
with work using rsync over vpn (that is, if you have vpn available to you).

> As for formally taking over CTM, I don't think I'm in a position to
> do so but would appreciate some more details:
> - How much disk space is required?

?????? I am doing a "du -s" right now, but the directory structure of
the complete cvs is pretty complicated, and it is taking a long time to
finish.  For now, I am going to guess that it is perhaps a little less
than 10G.

> - How resource intensive is building the deltas?  If it's a dedicated
>   box, what CPU/RAM does it have?

I use my desktop, which is a fairly old DELL, 32 bit, 1G RAM, 2.6GHz.
But the big bottleneck is the hard drive.

When CTM is running, it really uses the disk heavily, and I try to time
it to when I am not wanting to use the computer for regular activities
(like surfing the web).  Each CTM run takes about 2 hours, and this
happens 3 times a day.  I use fairly modern SATA drives, and that makes
a huge difference.  Most of the time is spent updating cvs-cur.

> - What are the bandwidth requirements?

You need enough bandwidth to be able to cvsup 3 times a day, and so that
ftp-master can fetch the deltas.  The big deltas are the
cvs-cur*xEmpty's, which are about 1G each in size, and new ones are
created about once per month.

> - How are the deltas forwarded out to the mail and FTP servers?

The deltas are mailed directly from my computer to the mailing lists,
using sendmail.

The FTP servers get the deltas via ftp-master fetching them via rsync.
It does this about every 4 hours.