cvs-cur

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Mar 29 02:31:41 PST 2003

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 03:43:06PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> >PS I have no idea how many people use ctm nowadays.  Do we have an count?
> postmaster at freebsd.org should be able to tell you how many people are
> on the various mailing lists.  An accurate count of people downloading
> from the FTP sites would take more effort but could probably be derived
> from the FTP server logs.

Difficult to count:
To avoid under counting, one would need logs from all offical mirrors
(even if we ignore unofficial & behind firwall mirrors).

To avoid over counting, we'd need to avoid double counting people
like me, that ftp a few but not all deltas from a local mirror each
time the local mail system loses a delta or piece. I also use
different email addresses to ftp, & assume some others do that too.

Some of those too-big-for-the-mail-system deltas we occasionally
ftp manually might give a better index than the smaller via mail
deltas, but then again, maybe people manually download those once
then share with local friends, though getting their own small deltas
direct via ftp or ctm-rmail.

I've known others in lurker mode who never say a word on the lists,
just download blocks of ctm deltas when they have the urge, time &
bandwidth. I think I've also seen CDROMs with CTM collections on
(maybe FreeX or elsewhere, can't remember).

Sorry to add nothing but uncertainty ! :-)

Julian Stacey       Freelance Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !   Schnupftabak probieren.