Totally newbie

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Thu Jun 19 13:03:36 PDT 2003

  Hi All!

I'm totally new to FreeBSD. I used Linux before but I decided to try
FreeBSD. I just downloaded FreeBSD 4.8 from a public ftp site and
installed a brand new system with X and full development tools. I have
some questions before I can start. It seems that the installer requires
only the first CD but I have two CDs. I could not find a way to instruct
the installer program to use it. What did I wrong?

My second question. I read about the differences between Linux and
FreeBSD. I like the idea that there is only one official FreeBSD. I'm
going to develop cross platform, multi tiered applications using Python
and it is nice to have a free  and compact system  which I can offer to
my clients. But I need other packages like "wxPython", "PyCrypto" and
others for my work. I know I can download the source code and compile
them but I read the comparision where someone said FreeBSD is even
better than Debian in this matter. This was one reason why I decided to
use FreeBSD. So I'm looking for the FreeBSD equivalent of apt-get in
Debian. Can you help me?

I'm sorry for the long e-mail.
Thanks in advance.

  Laci 1.0