Adaptec 2940UW with Fujitsu MAN3184M

Marc D. Brooks marc at paralan.com
Wed Feb 28 22:43:28 UTC 2007

Hello,

The Adaptec 2940UW is Single Ended. With Single Ended, there are a
number of things to consider when trying to go Ultra. It is possible
that even though the 2940UW initially negotiates for Ultra, the domain
validation forces it to the slower rate due to issues seen with the
communications. The other thing to check is if the 2940UW BIOS has been
forced to the slower rate. Also with Single Ended, the SCSI Cable Length
can be critical. Depending on a number of factors, going more than 2
meters may add to the problem. The SCA-1 Adapter may also be adding to
the problem unless it is known to be able to work at the Ultra burst
rate in Single Ended. Also verify how you have the terminations. If
these are the only two devices, the 2940UW must have its terminations
turned on (automatic may be ok) and there should be a termination at the
drive.

I believe the Fujitsu MAN3184M is Ultra160 Low Voltage Differential
(LVD), and capable of automatically going down to Single Ended
communications from LVD communications, like almost all LVD devices, but
its not being used to its full potential by doing so. Changing to the
29160 controller which is Low Voltage Dfferential (LVD) will help
immensely in terms of being able to operate at a faster burst rate and
being able to reliably support longer SCSI cable lengths.

Regards,
Marc D. Brooks