Retrofitting AIC-7902 Support To Legacy 2.4 Linux (RedHat 7.3)?

buffalo6262 buffalo at radix.net
Fri Mar 17 18:47:59 UTC 2006

Greetings,

I don't see much activity on this list, so this posting may be
pointless, but just in case:

I have a RedHat 7.3 legacy box that I can't upgrade to the newer
enterprise versions of the OS, because it's running old commercial
software that can't be upgraded and that won't run under anything
newer than RH 7.3.

I do have access to updated kernels via the RedHat legacy project, but
the Adaptec drivers supplied with these kernels won't talk to the
AIC-7902 built into my motherboard.

I think it's possible to "transplant" in a good copy of the AIC-7902
driver to a newer 7.3 legacy kernel, but can't find any specific
directions/methods for doing so, so I'm stuck with the box stock
install kernel (I was able to use a driver disk at install time to
allow the AIC-7902 to work with the install kernel, which is why the
box is up and running now).

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

--Duncan