39320A + hardware raid woes

Dave van Leeuwen dave at elec.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jan 23 19:26:38 PST 2005

Hi,
 I have recently got hold of a 2TB hardware raid box ( SATA drives,
U160 SCSI interface) and an Adaptec 39320A dual U320 SCSI card. These were
plugged into a dual opteron, running Fedora core 3 - x86_64, in one of the
PCI-X slots.  I can fdisk the raid unit but when I try to format the drive
as ext3 it pauses for about 5 mins while writing the inode table
807/~14000. After the pause it seems as the rest of the inode tables are
written, but the drive has been turned offline, as far as the controller
is concerned.  This also happens when I tried a knoppix live cd (x86) on
the Opteron.

I have managed to format the drive using an old card in a spare machine,
and have borrowed another SCSI car ( LSI based :-0 ) to do some testing.

Attached is a log of the messages that get displayed while the format is
paused.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the 39320 and the raid unit
working?  Is the 39320 faulty?

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave van Leeuwen