Error attempting to read or write to /dev/st0: sense keyMediumError

Herminio herminio.gonzalez at ctsu.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 04:41:51 PST 2005

> > as 'Python
> > SCSI device

> > > Does
> > >
> > >   mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0
> > >
> > > help any?  I've needed this in the past on exabyte 8mm tapes with
> > > some drives.
> > >

> > Thanks for the tip James, but unfortunately that has does
> not seem to
> > make any difference on this system. the tar command returns
> the same
> > error messages.

Hi,

Just to inform any future readers of this thread that we finally solved
the problem. It was caused by a dirty read/write head in the tape drive.
All it took was a cleaning tape to solve the problem.

Thank you for your suggestions and time spent on this. I have learned
lots of new things.

-herminio