aic7xxx Rev 6.3.5 problems/questions.

Tom Hansen tomh at uwm.edu
Wed Jun 9 21:28:56 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am writing in reference to the following post:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:16:13PM -0500, Todd Denniston wrote:
> "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:

> > This is because the Promise controllers do not provide an echo buffer.
> > In the past, the driver would just fail DV and complain about the
> > broken device.  Since the promise controllers were all developed long
> > after having an echo buffer was a requirement, they should support it.
> > I believe that their latest firmware does.
>
> unfortunately this is the latest firmware for the RM8000, so I guess they
> still don't "get it" on all their development lines.

They apparently don't always have the latest on their web site.  We had
a promise for a short while, and our IT guy got the latest firmware, it
still didn't work, then he called them, they sent him another that was
much more recent, and did work.

We are currently experiencing this problem, and I'm trying to get this "much
more recent" firmware that you are talking about.  The most recent currently
on their web site is 1.1.0.30 which is dated Feb 4, 2004.  Given that your
post was dated Feb 25th, I''m wondering if this Feb 4th firmware is already
the one you are talking about, or if in fact there is a more recent one.

I just got off the line with Promise tech support.  They told me that the
1.1.0.30 is their most recent firmware.  Further, they are suggesting that
it is a bug in the aic7xxx driver and that I should contact Adaptec.

--
Tom Hansen
Senior Information Processing Consultant
tomh at uwm.edu
www.glwi.uwm.edu