AIC7902 w/ seagate U320 drive issue on releng-4 (and current)

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Sun Jul 27 20:36:48 PDT 2003

> FYI, i've solved this problem for me by moving to
> firmware version 5 on the ST318453LW (U320 15KRPM 18GB)
> seagate drive.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest.  0004 is known
bad in packetized operation.  Your test to drop the speed to
160MB/s was a good thought, but for the 790X controllers, we
will still attempt to run with packetized protocol, assuming
the device supports it, even when you reduce the negotiated
rate.  You can disable packetized protocol in SCSI-Select which
would probably have allowed you to limp along until you got
updated firmware.

Sadly, 0005 is not perfect.  I have seen situations where under
hight tag load 0005 still drops trasactions.  I believe that
Seagate has a fix for this, but it has yet to be put into
release level firmware.  You might want to touch base with
them in another month to see if they have released a follow
on to 0005.

--
Justin