Safety panics during boot time

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Tue Jul 8 16:00:04 PDT 2003

> Hi All,
>
>    I am facing random panics on my IBM netfinity machines
>    during boot time. I attached a sample card dump here.
>    If it boots, then I do not see anymore problems.
>
>    Can you please tell me what is the problem  here?
>    Is there a fix for  this problem, without upgrading
>    to latest 2.4.21 driver?  I am using linux 2.4.19.

You need to update to a later driver.  Source, driver update
diskettes, and RPMs are available here:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/DUD/aic7xxx/
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/RPM/aic7xxx/

>    NO_FREE_SCB macro is 0xd1 in new driver, the same
>    value was used by MSGIN_PHASEMISS long back in
>    linux  2.2.  Curious to see,  I changed panic to a printf(as
>    it says panic  for safety),  then it panics again with invalid
>    scb error.
>
>    What are the safety panics?

The panic is there to prevent data corruption - in otherwords, to
guarantee the saftey of your data by stopping the system when
the controller is in an unexpected state.

--
Justin