performance issues: linux aic7xxx, 29160, Radion IFT-7200

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Fri Mar 8 14:46:02 PST 2002

>As I understood it based on the configure options and output from the
>driver via dmesg (both of which I may have _mis_-understood) the old
>driver leaves tagged queuing disabled by default.

Looking at the results of /proc may be a better way to tell.

>I attempted to turn off tagged command queuing by passing
>aic7xxx=tag_info:{{255,255}} at the boot prompt. This resulted in tagged
>queuing depth being set to 253.

You need to use 0 with my driver.  The README you looked at is for the
old driver.  You can also disable tags in your kernel config.

If all you want is sequential performance, disabling tags may be
beneficial on some really lame devices.  In the more typical, non-sequential
workloads, tags are a godsend.

--
Justin