Termination and hot-swap backplanes

Danilo Godec danci at agenda.si
Mon Mar 4 02:40:14 PST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> What version of the aic7xxx driver are you using?  If it is less than
> 6.X.X, there is an issue that may cause the driver to get the termination
> polarity wrong.  You can override the termination polarity using the
> stpwlev module option.  From the aic7xxx_old driver source:

I used to have the 2.2.20 stock driver. I tried the things suggested by
the driver and I also tried the new 6.4.2 driver. No change, really.

The next thing I thought I'd try was lowering the drive bus connection
speed from 160 MB/s to 80 MB/s. Guess what, that made a change. Things
work now, but I'm affraid that's not exactly the preffered solution.

Could a bad backplane firmware cause such behaviour or can I assume there
is a HW problem (hopefully the cable)? According to Intel, I cannot update
the backplane firmware without getting a different motherboard...

Thanks, D.