aic7xxx driver and bios initialization

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 00:11:33 PST 2001

"Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:

> >> So how do I get it to not ignore it?  My computer doesn't execute the bios a
> >t startup, which is OK since I'm not booting off of it.  I would assume that I
> > wouldn't have to worry about the bios, right?  I'm on a PPC and I just want t
> >o use a nice fast software raid5 for my root file system and boot off some lit
> >tle disk that the MacOS will fire up the linux kernel off of...
> >
> >The problem isn't that the driver is detecting that the BIOS wasn't run, the
> >driver is detecting that the cards IRQ or I/O space allocations haven't been
> >performed.  Without those allocations being made, the card can't be used
> >(trying to attach to either IRQ 0 or trying to map I/O space at address 0 are
> >both fatal errors for the driver, so things won't work if it did go past this
> >point).
>
> Do you fail if the BARs are not enabled?  I ran into that when I tested
> against a Mac G3.  It seems the "system bios" does allocate the BARs, but
> leaves the BARs disabled until some driver comes along to turn them on.  I
> now fail only if all BARs are set to zero.

I only fail if the BAR0 is set to 0 or the IRQ is set to 0.  On PPC, I will
also require a BAR1 since we can't do ISA I/O, we have to use MMAPed I/O on
PPC (last I recalled anyway).

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before