aic7xxx driver and bios initialization

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 11:40:36 PST 2001

bigmouth at pionet.net wrote:

> aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> at PCI 0/14/0
> aic7xxx: Controller disabled by BIOS, ignoring.
> aic7xxx: <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> at PCI 0/14/1
> aic7xxx: Controller disabled by BIOS, ignoring.
>
> So how do I get it to not ignore it?  My computer doesn't execute the bios at startup, which is OK since I'm not booting off of it.  I would assume that I wouldn't have to worry about the bios, right?  I'm on a PPC and I just want to use a nice fast software raid5 for my root file system and boot off some little disk that the MacOS will fire up the linux kernel off of...

The problem isn't that the driver is detecting that the BIOS wasn't run, the
driver is detecting that the cards IRQ or I/O space allocations haven't been
performed.  Without those allocations being made, the card can't be used
(trying to attach to either IRQ 0 or trying to map I/O space at address 0 are
both fatal errors for the driver, so things won't work if it did go past this
point).

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before