Adaptec 2906 on RedHat/Intel 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2) P4 system troubles

Allen Wilkinson aw at apk.net
Thu Dec 27 19:41:17 PST 2001

Folks,

I have installed the SUBJECT card. Kudzu recognized it the first bootup
and put a line in /etc/modules.conf of:

alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx

{I have an LSI SCSI Ultra 160 card for HDDs with alias scsi_hostadapter.}

However, lsmod shows no aic7xxx module after bootup.

If us use either

/sbin/modprobe
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx_new/aic7xxx_mod.o

OR

/sbin/modprobe /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.o

modprobe claims it can not find either module even though they exist as
listed in the command.

If I run insmod on either aic7xxx OR aic7xxx_mod, my system locks up
entirely and hard reset is the only recovery.

I don't see a RedHat errata on this. I do see an patch tree on
people.freebsd.org, but I don't know my driver version, especially with
insmod freezes preventing running a version check.

I hope I have worked the channels well enough to seek your help at this
point.

Help, Allen
--
Address:

Allen Wilkinson                       (phone) (216) 382-7613
1036 Pembrook Road                    (work)  (216) 433-2075
Cleveland Heights, OH 44121  USA      (INTERNET) aw at apk.net