2940U2W under Linux 2.4.x

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Wed Aug 29 15:21:58 PDT 2001

>	Ok, things seem to behave a little differently with the modification
>you asked for (but without KDB compiled in).  I've included two bootlogs
>from that as they seem to have failed in marginally different ways.
>I've seen this type of problem in other 2.4.3+ kernels, and I'm not sure
>what triggers it vs. the instant failure we've been seeing.  Anyway,
>I've also attached a bootlog with the modification and KDB, which fails
>in the original way.  One problem that cropped up is you asked for a
>backtrace (bt) which doesn't work-- it says it's not in kernel space.  I
>did a process back trace on the active task instead, although I'm not
>sure that's helpful.

Have you verified that there are no new BIOS versions available for your
motherboard?  From what I can tell, when we write to registers over the
PCI bus, we are not getting the expected results.  This may mean that
the PCI chipset has a non-standard caching feature enabled that violates
the PCI spec.  I've seen this on some other VIA based boards.

--
Justin