Kernel hang with Adaptec 29160 and HP 6*40GB Surestore Autoloader

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Aug 8 08:55:56 PDT 2001

Hi,

I am trying to set up backups on our Linux Mandrake 8.0 fileserver. The
machine is a 500 Celeron on a Gigabyte 6BXE mb, 1 HPT370 ATA100
controller, 3 IBM 45 GXPs, 1 Fujistsu 6.4GB drive, 1 Adaptec 29160 SCSI
controller which has only the HP 6*40GB autolader. Using RieserFS on all
partitions except /boot. Was initially running kernel 2.4.3-20mdk, but
currently using 2.4.7-8mdk. aic7xxx driver in the current kernel is
6.1.13. 29160 is running BIOS version 3.1.10 (latest), Gigabyte 6BXE is
also running latest BIOS version (F2e). Everything on the machine is
stock Mandrake, except samba -2.2.1a and the 2.4.7-8mdk kernel.

Running:

# mt -f /dev/st0 status

when a tape is loaded hangs the machine solid, with only the following
information on the screen:

(scsi0:A:3): parity error detected in Data-in phase SEQADDR(0x1a8)
SCSIRATE(0x95)

If I use mtx (recompiled from Redhat SRPM) as follows:

# mtx -f /dev/sg0 status

I get the same error (not necesarrily the first time, but definitely the
second time).

Is this error fixed in the latest aic7xxx driver, or should I be looking
elsewhere for the problem. Note that currently the SCSI cable is not
actively terminated, if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Buchan

P.S. Tomorrow is a public holiday here, and I am taking a long weekend,
so I will get back into this on Tuesday, but any replies are welcome ...

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202