Boot Delays and Messages on RH7.1 Linux + AHA2940AU

Maxwell Spangler maxwax at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 1 19:57:14 PDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >I'm experiencing painful delays during attempts to boot my Linux system.  This
> >is Redhat 7.1 with a recompiled generic 2.4.7 kernel.
>
> Two things.

I believe my problems may have been cause by a bad scanner and/or bad cabling.

I've been trying to rip audio CDs with 'grip' on Linux using an external HP
SCSI burner that rips about 3.6x speed--EIDEs do about 0.5-1.5x on my
system--and it was acting as if each CD had scratches.

I finally disconnected a scanner and it's cable, moved the terminator to the
HP and it's ripping along fine now.

I'll reboot in the next few days and I'll bet I'll find my boot problems have
gone away.

I think I may have somehow introduced the SCSI cabling problems, or the
scanner started to flake, etc., about the same time I moved to 2.4.6 and
2.4.7.. So I thought this might be a driver problem introduced, but.. maybe
not :)

I really appreciate the work you and Doug do, and the support you provide in
times like this when things aren't working the way they should.

Sorry for what is probably a false alarm!

Thanks!