Need some info

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Mon Apr 16 20:49:33 PDT 2001

>> I've never heard of any such product.  Perhaps at one point there was
>> a parity engine with this chip name, but it would only have appeared
>> on RAID boards like the AAC-3464.  AAA and ARO boards use either the
>> 7810 or 7815.  It is certainly not an Adaptec SCSI chip.
>>

>Well...no.  A trivial amount of time on Dogpile turns up an answer.  As it
>happens, in my own parts bin, the Adaptec 1542CF (reasonably common, no?)
>has an Adaptec AIC-7970Q chip right in the middle.

The chip used on the 1542 was never released as a stand-alone product.
Perhaps it appeared on a few disk drives, but unlike the 6260/6360/6370,
was not meant for stand-alone (on motherboard or otherwise) use.  But
yes, the chip ID was not familiar - I doubt I ever removed the decals on
the 154X cards I've used or writen drivers for.  You don't program to a
7970 directly but rather always through an interface provided by a
processor like the z80 on the 1542.

>While I definately don't rank a "scsiguy.com" email address, it's pretty
>clear the AIC-7970 is an Adaptec SCSI chip, on a shipping product, wether
>you have heard of it or not.

The 1542 is not a shipping product.  I don't recall exactly when it
was discontinued, but it was some time ago.  The 7970 has also
been discontinued.  For its time, the 1542 was a very good product.
I'm sure there are lots of people who have a card or two in their
own private pile of cards.

--
Justin