2940AU problems

John Sutton john at scl.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 03:18:30 PDT 2001

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >> First off, provide as much information as you can about the
> >> failure.  Where did the oops occur?  You can determine that
> >> by installing kdb and using its trace command or by copying
> >> down all of the oops information and feeding it to ksymoops.
> >
> >Do you mean gdb?  I've got this but I can't see how to use it to debug=
 a kerne
> >module? =20
>=20
> Nope, kdb.  It is available from SGI here:
>=20
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/
>=20
> Why Linux doesn't come with a kernel debugger is beyond me.

OK, I'll have a go with that.  I've come to a halt with ksymoops because =
the
swine now refuses to do an oops.  It's reverted to the old behaviour - co=
mplete
lockup with nothing written to the logs ;-(

> >janus kernel: ahc_pci:0:11:0: Reading SEEPROM...done.
> >janus kernel: ahc_pci:0:11:0: internal 50 cable not present
> >janus kernel: ahc_pci:0:11:0: external cable is present
>=20
> Is this correct?  All of your devices are on an external cable?
> If so, then the controller termination at least is correct.

Yes.  Disk, cdrom and tape streamer are all external, nothing is inside t=
he
box.  (The box is a diskless client which mounts it's root over NFS.  I l=
ike
machines without any moving parts because you can kick them with impunity=
 ;-)