2940AU problems

John Sutton john at scl.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 10:03:43 PDT 2001

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >Can anybody tell me if it's going to be worth the effort to
> >upgrade any further?
>=20
> Upgrading is the best hope for a solution to your problem.  Once
> you are running my driver, I can use some tools built into the
> driver to diagnose your problem.

OK, I'll be pleased to give it a go.

Question is: how far from my 5.1.34 version towards your latest version c=
an I
hope to get on a 2.2.x kernel?  (I'm currently on 2.2.10 and am happy to =
apply
the kernel patches to move further up the 2.2 tree.  But a jump to 2.4 wo=
uld be
pretty tricky I think...  I run diskless clients and getting knfsd to set=
tle
down on a 2.2.10 kernel has been a very long job!  But if necessary I can
probably get a 2.4 kernel going, if only for booting the single client wh=
ich has
the Adaptec card in it.)

As a first stab at it, I downloaded linux-aic7xxx-6.1.5-src.tar.gz from y=
our
web page and whacked it on top of my 2.2.10/5.1.34 tree (backed it up fir=
st of
course ;-).  It fell over big time while trying to build aic7xxx:

In file included from aic7xxx.c:249:
aic7xxx/aic7xxx.h:873: macro `LIST_HEAD' used with too many (2) args
aic7xxx.c:279: warning: `ALL_CHANNELS' redefined
=2E.. and many more warnings until terminating with:
aic7xxx/aic7xxx.h: At top level:
aic7xxx/aic7xxx.h:890: storage size of `untagged_queues' isn't known

What kernel version is this tar file compatible with?

TIA