Boot options - Bad SCSI ID

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 08:14:44 PDT 2000

"V. Bykov" wrote:

> Recent time I've encountered a problem with 2940 adapter and new IBM
> Ultratar.
> BIOS detects all of HDD (SCSI ID 0,1, 4) during bootup correctly. int13
> seems to work correctly too. When linux kernel (2.2.14) tries to load
> aic7xxx code, two older (0,1) drives are waking up correctly. New one
> (SCSI ID 4) makes timeout and driver module goes into infinite
> reset-timeout cycle.
> I have done some work to repair this, but have no success. And now I
> think I will
> gladly use following bootup options to help myself:
>
> aic7xxx=bad_id:list   -  Never try to work with devices with SCSI ID
> from list. Just forget about this.
> aic7xxx=SCSI_DELAY:secs - set delay time after resetting the SCSI bus to
> wait until trying to communicate
>
> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
> with "unsubscribe aic7xxx" in the body of the message

This is likely a bug in the negotiation code of the aic7xxx driver.  Try
disabling all target intitiated syncronous negotiations from the drive (there
is usually a jumper labelled SDTR or PPR or Targ. Init. or something like
that).  That should likely solve your problem.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before