Solved? (was Re: Any known bugs in aic7xxx)

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Nov 24 17:47:43 PST 2000

Mike Sharp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a follow-up to my earlier message...
>
> > Finally, after I get that surface mount capacitor soldered back
> > onto my 29160 I'll report back as to its behavior in this segregated
> > environment.
>
> Unfortunately I'm still experiencing problems using the 29160
> adapter -- lots of parity errors & bus resets.  A quick switch back
> to the 2940 adapter and everything works fine.
>
> I've tried both the 2.4.0-test10 kernel with the driver it comes with
> as well as the 2.4.0-test10 kernel with the alpha version of the new
> AIC7xxx driver.  Both exhibit the same problem.

This bit of information, combined with the above note about parity errors is
almost a certain indication of bus wiring/termination problems.  Check all of
your connectors to make sure that none of them have any bent pins or the like
(remember, a bus in SE mode, which is what you get when you plug in the 2940,
only uses half the pins in the cable, while a bus in LVD mode uses all the
pins in the cable).  Also check the termination on the bus, make sure that the
terminator on the card is good and also the terminator at the end of your LVD
cable.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before