Iomega Jaz 2gig Format

Geoffrey Goodrum ggoodrum at perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov
Tue May 30 08:05:55 PDT 2000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Tim Kettlewell wrote:

> Is there a tool to reformat (low level) an Iomega disk where do I find it??]
> I formated with the 2490 scsi utility and seem to have lost the partition table on the Jaz disk
> Any suggestions????
> Drive does not seem to recognize the disk any more!!!

Yes, low-level formatting wipes out EVERYTHING on the media, including any
manufacturer data required by the drive (in which case the media must be
returned to the manufacturer for repair).  Bottom line: never low-level
format your media; it is rarely necessary.  Do not confuse low-level
formatting with high level formatting and partitioning for an OS
filesystem.

Sorry about the soapbox.  I'm not sure whether Iomega media can be
low-level formatted safely.  I guess you are about to find out.

The Jaz Drive HOWTO (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Jaz-Drive-HOWTO.html)
describes how to use fdisk to create and partition a native Linux Jaz
disk.  There is also a HOWTO for ZIP drives.

If this doesn't work, your media might be toast.  Check with Iomega
(http://www.iomega.com/).

Good luck!

Geof Goodrum