Internal = .5MB/sec, External >= 5MB/sec

Chris Webster chris at raf.atd.ucar.edu
Fri May 26 15:01:16 PDT 2000

I have two drives taken out of an external enclosure, which I mounted
internally.  If they are plugged into any internal Adaptec controller I
get .5MB/sec of write speed (read is typically 6MB/sec).  If I hook it
up to an external adapter (same actively terminated LVD/SE cable)
everything works fine.

Specifics:
Intel L440GX+ motherboard with 2 onboard 7896/7 adapters.  Using those
adapters, I get .5MB/sec.  After adding a 2940UW PCI card and plugging
the drives into the internal adapter on that I still get .5MB/sec.
However, if I move the same cable to the external adapter everything
works.  This has been reproduced on a completly different computer (w/
Adaptec 7890/1 & 7880).

Any [useful?] insight would be outstanding.

--Chris