64-bit PCI with SCSI?

Michael D. Crawford crawford at goingware.com
Tue May 23 10:58:04 PDT 2000

Hi,

I see from the README in the latest development kernel sources (linux)
that the aic7xxx driver supports the Adaptec 39160 card.

This is a 64-bit PCI Ultra-160 SCSI .

I'm about to build a server and want it to go real zippy and stuff.  If
I get one of these cards and put it in a 64 bit slot, will Linux use the
64-bit PCI bus?  Is this something that's perhaps handled transparently
by the PCI bridge or does it require a kernel version with 64 bit PCI
enabled?

Or perhaps will the 64 bit card work at the same speed as a 32 bit card
even though it is in a 64 bit slot?

They have cheaper Ultra-160 cards that go into 32 bit slots.

BTW - I'm new to the list and sorry to be bugging you with such
questions.  I have a little knowledge of SCSI programming (mostly
writing scanner drivers) and hope I can contribute something more
substantive later.

Regards,

Mike Crawford
crawford at goingware.com