Unresolved Symbol best_memcpy and best_memset

Shahid Sheikh sheikh at erols.com
Wed Jan 5 23:49:07 PST 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to create an initrd image for a machine with an aic7xxx but get a
kernel panic 'cause the module comes up with Unresolved Symbols best_memcpy
and best_memset and the aic7xxx module failes to load.

The aic7xxx.o was compiled as a module after patching it with
aic7xxx-5.1.22.patch in a 2.2.13 kernel source from Redhat
(kernel-source-2.2.13-0.9.rpm). The system is an bare bone install from
RedHat 6.1 and the /boot dir does have the proper System.map file. The /lib
dir of initrd.img has the two files aic7xxx.o and initio.o in it and the
linuxrc just does an insmod for the aic7xxx.o module.

Would like to keep aic7xxx as a module 'cause I'm trying to create a
standard kernel with all scsi drivers compiled as modules. Linking it
directly in the kernel works fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Just subscribed to the list and couldn't find any archive or related
articles on the net.

Thanks,

Shahid