Problem detecting AHA 2940 U2W under RedHat 6.1

SylvainPrévot wizzmaster at free.fr
Tue Feb 22 20:07:13 PST 2000

Hi,

I've a PII 400, 256M RAM, an AHA 2940 U2W (id=7) and an IBM 18G SCSI
drive (id=8).

I tried to install RH6.1 unsuccessfully :
The loading process didn't detect any SCSI host
>> scsi: 0 hosts

However, when booting on a dos disk, the hard-drive is recognized.
Then, we can launch the RH install process thanks to loadlin on the
CD-ROM.
The install process seems to complete, but the boot process invariably
fails :
>> "Unable to mount root fs on 08:01"

We think the kernel installed by linux lacks Adaptec SCSI drivers.
We unsuccessfully tried all options of the aic7xxx driver.

To solve the problem, we're about to add an IDE drive, to install a
linux on it and to try to generate an 'aic7xxx'-aware kernel which we
would copy onto the scsi drive before executing 'lilo' on it.

Can someone help us ?

Thanks.