Unknown Source of SCSI Bus Errors (fwd)

Andy Smith asmith at umdgrb.umd.edu
Thu Feb 17 14:38:09 PST 2000

Hi,

I sent the message below to the aic7xxx mailing list last week with
no reply. Since then I have made more progress on understanding
the problem, however I have no solution. The more I look, the
more I am convinced that the problem is in software. For starters,
I have updated my aic7xxx module to the latest version (5.1.26).
This changed in no way the behavior of the computer. Then I went
through each of the switches in the SCSI Select BIOS utility. I switched
things that are by default disabled to enabled and vice versa. I
found that if I turn off "Initiate Sync Negotiation", the SCSI
bus and the disks work: No SCSI errors! The problems is that the
disks are accessed in asynchronous mode at 20MB/s. As the mode is
asynchronous, the actual speed of the disks is more like 10MB/s.
(dd if=bigfile of=/dev/null bs=10000). Pretty pitiful for an
ultra-wide bus connected to an array of ultra2 disks.
The problem seems to be with synchronous data transfers, not termination
as I suspected before.

Any help?

-Andy