Adaptec 2930U2 problem followup

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Mon Aug 7 11:18:44 PDT 2000

Doug Ledford wrote:
> Bob_Tracy wrote:
> >
> > Been having problems with an Adaptec 2930U2 card in my machine at
> > the house.  Naturally, it works fine with Win95.  The problem has
> > been shown to be something peculiar to my motherboard after looking
> > at many test scenarios over the past several days.  Basically,
> > there's no interrupt activity corresponding to the 2930U2 that
> > either Linux or FreeBSD can see.  This results in an infinite
> > timeout/reset loop during driver initialization.
>
> This is usually only a problem on SMP motherboards.  In that case, I tell
> people to boot the kernel with the option noapic and see if it helps the
> problem.  In any case, linux isn't reading your IRQ routing information
> properly either due to a linux bug or a buggy BIOS.  You could bring this
> problem up to Ingo Molnar if this is an SMP motherboard *and* noapic helps, or
> bring it up to Martin Mares otherwise since it would likely be a PCI problem.

Doug,

If it's the IRQ routing stuff, then the symptoms would be consistent
with: "But 2.0 worked just fine on this machine", right?

I have a client with exaclty the same problem, and the "but 2.0 works"
hint. (IBM machine by the way.)

				Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2137555 **
*       Common sense is the collection of                                *