2930B BIOS recognizes Multiple LUNs -- aic7xxx doesn't

David C. Hoos, Sr. david.c.hoos.sr at ada95.com
Wed Apr 5 14:01:23 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
To: David C. Hoos, Sr. <david.c.hoos.sr at ada95.com>
Cc: <aic7xxx at FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: 2930B BIOS recognizes Multiple LUNs -- aic7xxx doesn't

> "David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using an Adaptec 2930B host adapter with a SCSI-1 device
> > that is actually a modem, but characterizes itself as a Direct-
> > Access device with one-byte block size, and a read capacity of 10,414
> > blocks, and 3 LUNs (0, 1, 2).
> >
> > The Host Adapter BIOS detects the three LUNs during boot up,
> > but the Linux OS does not.  The host adapter BIOS shows three
> > disk drives (81h), (82h), and (83h), and flags the first as D:
>
> echo "scsi-add-single-device 0 0 4 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi
> echo "scsi-add-single-device 0 0 4 2" > /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> or else rebuild your kernel with the option PROBE_ALL_LUNS enabled in the
SCSI
> config.
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the quick response.

FWIW, in my kernel source tree there is no string PROBE_ALL_LUNS.

I did find, however the CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN string in two files, viz:

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h:#define CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN 1
/usr/src/linux/include/config/scsi/multi/lun.h:#define CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN
1

I had set this originally by means of "make xconfig", so my kernel has
always
had multi-LUN support compiled in, so that is not doing the trick for this
device.

You might want to investigate further why this does not work.

However, the echo  to /proc/scsi/scsi "back-door" does cause the second and
third device files /dev/sgb and /dev/sgc to be created.

Again, thanks for the clue.