scsi bus lockups

Roberto Micarelli mi.ro at iol.it
Mon Sep 20 03:04:33 PDT 1999

Excuse me for my english, I'll try to do my best. Some days ago I sent an
help request about scsi bus lockups problems. I'm using an onboard aic7880.
I'm using a linux kernel 2.0.38 (ipnat patched) with aic7xxx upgraded to 5.1.19
I've an only device which is an external raid controller from CMD working on a
single-ended/active terminated bus
Since today we have made lot of tests leading always to the same behaviour:
scsi bus resets due to timeouts, processes trying to access the scsi
partitions lock, sometime the kernel freezes or continues issuing resets
The time after which the lockup happens seems to be related to the bus
configuration but is random in any case. I do my tests 'stressing'
the system with continuos IO. I stay in the range of 10-12 hours working
with a round cable and 1-4 hours with other things (flat, passive terminations,
...)
I have been using a scsi cable tester and a voltage tester to check expecially
against power fluctuations; power supply seems ok. Now:
I'm going to do further hardware-oriented tests. Should I be wrong?
Should it be a software bug? in which case I'm loosing my time (and money).
Intentionally I did not include a detailed test condition table, if you are
interested to I can specify it better. I'm going to send you a detailed report
of my experience when I will solve the problem.

Thank you for any help. Roberto.

P.S.: How to obtain old mailing list massages? (I'm new to the list)