SCSI Timeouts on my DEC Alpha (Again!)

Tom Browder tom2 at fwb.asi.srs.com
Sun Oct 24 16:53:32 PDT 1999

I was a steady subscriber early this year as my DEC Alpha was getting
timeouts regularly using kernel 2.0.34. Things finally settled down to
an occasional hang and reboot, but usable with a tight jaw.

I have recently done the painful changeover to the 2.2+ kernels (using
2.2.13 as of today) and the hangs are back in full play. I have not been
able to keep the machine going for longer than about two days ever since
the 2.2+ upgrade two weeks ago (using RH 6.0 + errata rpms).

My SCSI host is an Adaptec 2940UW. I have three drives: one external
(SCSI-1) and two internal (one SCSI-2, one SCSI-3).

I have just added the boot addendum "aic7xxx=panic_on_abort" and I
hope I can get very specific about my problem.

Looking forward to a real fix with help from Doug and this group.

Tom Browder