Problem with adaptec card and RH6.0

dledford at redhat.com dledford at redhat.com
Wed May 26 11:58:18 PDT 1999

Andrew Chen wrote:

> This looks like mine.
>
> During the installation, RH 6.0 hung my machine after detecting my NEC
> CD-ROM reader.  Then, after several trials and errors, I had to disconnect
> the CD-ROM reader in order to finish installation.
>
> Later, I tried to re-connect CD-ROM reader.  My 2930U2 card does detect all
> SCSI devices in power-on, but RH 6.0 stops at some place (not remember
> the message) when aic7xxx driver was probing the CD-ROM reader.
>
> I suppected that mine is due to the problem that RH 6.0 aic7xxx driver is
> unable to work with CD-ROM reader, not the cable.

There was a bug fixed in later versions of my driver where I was accidentally
sending out wide transfer negotiation requests to some devices that don't
support them.  That was likely the cause of your problem.  My absolute latest
driver is not yet on any boot disks to my knowledge, but will be once I get
the 5.1.17 version complete (it's mostly there already, but I have to get one
more problem worked out).

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but