Adaptec 3940AUW, LVD drives and Linux

Shafik Yaghmour shafik at nyct.net
Tue May 25 09:04:20 PDT 1999

	Okay, I have a Tyan Thunder 100 GX board which has the Adaptec
3940AUW built in I am attempting to use 2 IBM 9ES LVD drives and I
am having problems. I was not aware they where LVD when I obtained them.
After talking to a few people I have been informed that they can not self
terminate so I know part of my problems is termination.	I was also told
that the Adaptec 3940AUW may not fully support LVD drives but I have been
able to verify and format them as well as install DOS on them, so the
adapter can work with them but I am afraid that Linux may be a bit more
sensitive then DOS and once I fix the termination problem I may have more
problems. I need to make a decision on returing these drives soon so I was
hoping someone on this list could help me out.

	More specifically once I get to the section of the install where
is asks if I have a scsi adapter and I pick the Adaptec 2940 driver the
system dies completely, the only option I have is to recycle power.

PS This is Red Hat 6.0 installation

Thank You

--"the more you know and understand the more you must know and understand
   .. knowledge is an unsatiable hunger .. which makes life easier and at
   the same time harder .... knowledge is a paradox w/ no resolution just
   a boundless function of human nature .... knowledge is a trap which we
   embrace and which we run away from .... and in the end the only escape
   is death .... or maybe not "<grin>--