How to change IRQ???

gil gil at truepath.com
Mon May 24 15:15:11 PDT 1999

Hi,

I'm pretty confused about an IRQ conflict between an Adaptec 2940 that
is built into the motherboard on my IBM 704 server and a raid controller
card. Both are PCI cards and are vying for  IRQ 11.

Can I change the default IRQ by using some kind of append="aic7xxx=...."
in lilo.conf? Or how about compiling the aic7xxx driver as a module and
using insmod?

I tried moving the raid controller card to another slot as was suggested
below, but it still looks for IRQ 11.

I would really appreciate some education on PCI's. I guess I'm just use
to the old style cards that have jumper settings. Those seemed to be
eaiser to figure out :-)

Looking forward to your reply. I'm running Red Hat 5.2 (Linux 2.0.36).

Gil

> gil wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to install a back up system in an IBM 704 running Linux Red
> > Hat 5.2. The IBM 704 has two built in Adaptec 2940's using the 7880
> > chipset.
> >
> > When I compile in the AIC7xxx driver and reboot, there is a conflict
> > between the  SCSI RAID controller card and the 2940. It appears that the
> > 2940 is trying to take IRQ 11 which is also being used by the SCSI
> > controller.
> >
> > How do I resolve this? How do I change the IRQ of the 2940? I checked
> > the CMOS settings and I can enable and disable the two 2940's, but I
> > see no way of assigning an IRQ.
>
> Since the 7880 chips are on the motherboard, their IRQ is likely hard
> wired and can't be changed.  In order to get the conflict resolved, you
> need to try moving the RAID controller around to different PCI slots
> until the RAID controller and the aic7xxx chips don't share an IRQ.  If
> that doesn't work, then it would be time to go in and fix the RAID
> controller's driver to use shared interrupts (which the aic7xxx driver
> already does, but the kernel requires both drivers to register their
> IRQs as sharable before it will actually allow them to be shared).
>
> --
>   Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
>    Opinions expressed are my own, but
>       they should be everybody's.