Resetting a tape drive on AIC7860

Osma Ahvenlampi oa-lists at spray.fi
Sun May 9 23:13:26 PDT 1999

I have a DELL PowerEdge 2300 system running Linux 2.0.36 kernel and
aic7xxx 5.1.15. An internal tape drive connected to the narrow
interface goes to "tilt mode" if the tape ends during a
backup. Sometimes (rarely) the problem situation goes away if I unload
the tape driver (st.o) and eject the tape manually. Most times, the
tape drive remains inaccessible (every access except 'mt status'
responding with an error) until a reboot.

You can imagine that rebooting the system because of this is
annoying. Is there a way I could cause a device or bus reset on the
narrow bus (which has the tape drive and a CD-ROM) without upsetting
the software-RAID array on the wide aic7890 bus?

--
Osma Ahvenlampi