Serious Trouble with AHA-2940 and new Driver

Harald Grabow hgrabow at volvox.mayn.de
Tue Jul 6 03:09:42 PDT 1999

Hi.

Although this would make this Mail redundant, I deeply hope this is a
known Problem.

Since several Days I am trying to install Debian 2.1 on my System, with
little success.
Since I am NOT a Kernel Developer, I have found no way to get around this
myself.

The Problem persists with all Kernel versions *HIGHER* 2.0.34 and the AHA-
2940 FAST-SCSI Adapter w/ NVRAM, BIOS Version 1.21 (the only one I have)
To me it looks like the almost-complete-rewrite made since then has broken
something in the Area of the Sequencer.

While reading this i realize it sounds like a SCSI-Newbie-Insufficent-
Termination-Or-Something-Problem, I may assure you it is *not*.

- Driver downloads 10 more Sequencer Code Bytes than usual (409 on
  2.0.34, 419 on higher versions)
- Last SCSI Disc getting reflected 3 times.
- On Startup, I get timeouts and bus resets, then the kernel sometimes
  actually boots; then occasional bus resets while working, making work
  impossible; umount mostly halts the machine.

Output of /proc/scsi/scsi for 2.0.34:

Attached devices: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor:          Model: DFRSS2F          Rev: 4B4B  Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: CD-ROM XM-3701TA Rev: 3615  Type:   CD-ROM
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-R55S          Rev: 1.0J  Type:   CD-ROM
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34520N         Rev: 1281  Type:   Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Output of /proc/scsi/aic7xxx for 2.0.34:

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.19/3.2.4
Compile Options:  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Adapter Support Enabled
Check below to see which
devices use tagged queueing
AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
Adapter Configuration:
SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter
Narrow Controller
PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xffaef000
Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
IRQ: 11
SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
Allocated 30, HW 16, Page 255
Interrupts: 4033
BIOS Control Word: 0x19b6
Adapter Control Word: 0x0018
Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0x00ff
Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
{255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
[Stats deleted]

By no means I managed to get this information with the new Driver, but
IMHO that shouldn't matter anyway.

I tried 2.0.36 as well as 2.2.5 Kernel versions, both no go.

I would be very pleased if this Problem could be dealt with, and would
like to know if other people are experiencing the same trouble with their
2940, and how they got around it.

Many thanks in advance! I am under pressure with this one, friends.

        ben
## CrossPoint v3.11 ##