aic7890 in Dell Poweredge failing on probe

Erik Walthinsen omega at cse.ogi.edu
Fri Jul 2 17:17:22 PDT 1999

We just got a Dell Poweredge 6300 here at work, but we're having
installation problems.  RedHat 6.0's installer gets to probing the aic7xxx
driver, at which point the screen blanks (monitor goes into power-saving
mode), the system completely locks, and even the power supply fans spin
down to a lower speed...

Now, Dell ships these things with RedHat pre-installed (only the 1024KB
cache versions, not the 512KB cache, don't ask me why), so I know these
things are *supposed* to work just fine...  Dell won't be able to help
much until Tuesday, since everyone there that knows anything about Linux
has already gone home for the long weekend.

It appears that as of kernel 2.2.1 the aic7xxx 5.1.10 driver is standard,
and 5.1.11 is the latest.  Is this indeed the case, and if so, does 5.1.11
change stuff that might be relevant?

Alternately, is there a known set of options necessary to get the driver
to work properly on this particular machine?  Anyone out there with one of
these things, either pre-installed, or installed themselves, that can
check their conf.modules and see what's up?

TIA,
   Omega

         Erik Walthinsen <omega at cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user