How to force a bus reset?

Brian Ristuccia brianr at osiris.978.org
Fri Jan 8 06:15:33 PST 1999

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 10:14:20AM +0200, Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:
> I'm experiencing serious problems using a DDS-3 DAT drive on a Dell
> PowerEdge 2300 (AIC 7890/7860, tape drive on the narrow
> bus). Apparently as an end-of-tape is detected, the drive goes crazy
> and any command sent to it (save for the status command issued by 'mt
> status') will result in an error. My log from last night is filled
> with this:
>
> Jan  8 09:45:03 safir kernel: Additional sense indicates Internal target failure
> Jan  8 09:45:06 safir kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Current error st09:00: sense key Hardware Error
>
> Real hardware error is pretty much ruled out, since the drive was just
> replaced because of this (I guess the old one wasn't broken after
> all).
>
> I can't even begin to try to figure this one out. But if I knew how to
> force a device/bus reset, I might see if the drive recovers..
>
> Driver version is 5.1.4.

I've been having similar woes with my Archive DAT changer. When it hits
end-of-tape it gets into an error condition that can only be cleared by
removing and re-inserting the magazine.

I work around this by making uncompressed backups that are slightly shorter
than the tapes. (and thus waste a lot of tapes)

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr at osiris.978.org
bristucc at baynetworks.com