Linux AMD K6 problems

Klaus Steinberger Klaus.Steinberger at Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Tue Dec 14 08:10:52 PST 1999

>   I have just upgraded my K6-2 400 machine with the 2942u2w card and 2 * 9U2WGB
> disks. When I try to access the device I get "SCSI: aborting command due to
> time-out".
I have seen very curious problems with K6 CPU´s (in my case a K6-3 400).

There are instabilities with Linux and an AMD CPU if the board setup
is not 100 % correct.

In my case Linux is unstable on a Tyan Tomcat 1563D with an AMD CPU, if
the Dual/Single CPU Jumper is in the single CPU position. The AMD runs
stable if the Jumper is in the Dual CPU position !!!

On one board I got the exact same error as you had! So check up or board
configuration.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287        Hochschulgelaende, D-85748 Garching, Germany